Heerekai / Ridge Gourd : 1 bowl ( 2 medium sized)
Toor Dal : 1 Cup
Coriander seeds : 1 Tablespoon
Urad dal : 1 1/2 Teaspoon
Channa Dal : 1 1/2 Teaspoon
Methi / Fenugreek seeds : 1/4 Teaspoon
Jeera : 1/2 spoon
Cinnamon: : 1/2 Inch
Red chilli (Byadagi ) : 5 to 6
Coconut : 1/2 Cup
Tamarind : Small marble size (Optional)
Curry leaves : 6 to 8
Coriander Leaves : 2 Tablespoons.
Hing (Asafoetida) : a pinch
Turmeric Powder : a pinch
Oil : 2 Teaspoons.
Mustard seeds : 1/2 Teaspoon
Salt to taste
2. Wash and remove the outer skin of ridge gourd and cut it into small cubes and cook it with required water.
3. In a pan fry chana dal, fenugreek seeds and urad dal with little oil .
4. Fry them till they turn golden brown. Add cinnamon, red chilly and coriander seeds. Fry for 10 seconds.
5. Add hing and 4 to 5 curry leaves and put off the fire. Add coconut and jeera. Grind all this to a nice paste with little water.
7. Add 1/2 Teaspoon of mustard seeds and let them splutter. Add channa dal and urad dal.
8. Add Hing and cooked vegetables and dal.
9. Add required salt, turmeric powder and mix it well. If you are adding, add the tamarind juice and jaggery now.Let it boil for 3 to 4 minutes. While boiling add curry leaves.
10. Add ground coconut mixture and mix it well. Add water if it required. Let it boil for 5 to 6 minutes.
11. Boil it nicely and shift the Huli -Tovve to a serving bowl.
12. Add coriander leaves and a spoon of ghee.
13. Serve hot rice and a spoon of ghee.
14. It can be relished with chapati and rotis too.