And then are you taking care of all your valuables - gold,silver and cash? Have you made arrangements to keep them in safe locker? Have you painted your house with the brand that protects your wall? Have you taken care to protect your gems? Yes? Awesome. Now - what about your gums?
Do you get the Insurance of your vehicles renewed without fail? Do you take precautions to service your vehicles periodically? And check the air? I am sure you do.But how much attention have you given to your eyes, skin, ears, nose and tongue? Your panchendriya ?
Can I see a frown on your face? And a thought - "Why should I study my body and organs when there are doctors to take care of that?" Aw common! By your own logic, you can go to the mechanics when the car breaks down, can go to the police when burglar breaks in. And why bother who landed first on moon when you are sure you may get a chance to land there only in your dreams :-)
It is really surprising that we take great care while planting a seed. Ploughing the earth and clearing weeds. We want best of seeds and grow most healthy plants, fruits and vegetables. Then why not show some care and concern towards our body? After all it is entirely ours, we get only one set, there is no replacement and no warranty. And the big thing is that we have to live with it for our entire life! So let us try to learn at least some basic preventive measures to protect our health.
The fundamental health exercise which we should never overlook is deep breathing, the elixir of life. It recharges the life battery. We should make constant and conscious effort to take deep breaths. The stomach should come out when we inhale and go deep inside when we exhale. And at least for 5 to 10 minutes a day, we should do Anuloma Viloma or Nadi shuddhi Pranayama.
Let us first understand what happens when one takes a deep breath and how it affects our health and body. When we breath through our right nostril, which is connected with solar energy, generates heat in the body, is called positive energy and when we breath through the left nostril, related to the moon, has a cooling effect on the body and generates a negative energy.Thus the change in levels of positive and negative energy goes on and electricity so produced goes on flowing in the body.
What is Kundalini ?
When the cerebro spinal fluid passes through spinal cord and goes down from brain to coccyx, because of the gray and white matter in vertebrae, electricity is produced and stored in prostrate where it remains idle. This is called Kundalini - serpent energy in Yoga. Through certain yogic exercises this latent power can be awakened and made to move upwards through endocrine glands known as chakras.
How many Chakras are there in our Body?
- Sahasrara - pineal gland - located at the crown of the head - considered the chakra of pure consciousness . Its role may be envisioned to that of pituitary gland which secretes hormones to communicate to the rest of the endocrine system and connects to the central nervous system.
- Ajna - This is the end of the central nervous system that rises from the sexual organ to the crown of the head and follows down to the third eye. This is linked to the third eye, it is called pineal gland, a light sensitive gland and produces hormone melatonin which regulates sleep and waking up.
- Vishuddha - This chakra is paralleled to thyroid glands located at the throat which produces thyroid harmone that is responsible for growth and maturity.It governs communication and fluency of thoughts.
- Anahata - Is located in the chest and it is an element of the immune system as well as being the part of endocrine system. A healthy Anahata chakra helps in fending off the diseases and may be adversely affected by stress.
- Manipura - This chakra is related to the metabolic and digestive systems. It corresponds to the cells in pancreas and outer adrenal glands and play a vital role in digestion and conversion of food matter into energy for the body.
- Swadhisthana - This chakra is located in the sacrum and corresponds to the testes or ovaries that produce sex hormones involved in the reproductive cycle and they govern the emotions like violence, addictions, basic emotional needs and pleasure.
- Muladhara - The center at the base of the spine in the coccygeal region is the location of Muladhara Chakra. This chakra relates to the gonads and the adrenal medulla, responsible the fight-or-flight responsible when faced with a threat. Muladhara is related to instinct, security, survival and also basic human potentiality.
Your Health in Your Hands
The main excuse from all of us for not taking care of our health or avoid doing exercises is lack of time. Agreed. So you don't need to go anywhere, no need of losing your sleep or no missing of your share of your entertainment. Still you can protect your good health.
All the 24 hours you would be breathing. Make a conscious effort to breath from your gut or stomach.This takes care of 50% of your good health. Initially
your mind will drift and you forget. Don't worry, while working in the office, reading, eating, walking and watching TV and even while sleeping, bring back your mind to conscious and deep breathing. Within a few days you will conquer and it will become your habit.
So postpone your aging process and enjoy healthy living by following these simple steps :
- Drink water, charged with metals like iron, copper,silver or gold. It can be prepared by boiling gold/silver/copper or cleaned iron in 4 cups of water till the water reduces to 2 cups and drink it everyday.
- Do Pranayama at least for 10 minutes, twice a day.
- Do simple yoga with associated breathing.
- Do Acupressure on your hands and feets by pressing all the points at least for 5 minutes, while at office or even while watching TV.
- Follow chromotherapy - Use of colors of Sun.
- Drink lots of water. Never drink water while standing. Best posture is to squat on the ground while drinking water. Drink liquids as if you are eating i.e. very slowly, and eat solids like you are drinking, chew a lot, which will generate saliva, which half digests your food and so will not be stored as fat in your body.
- Eat healthy and natural food - only when you are hungry. Even while eating your favourite food, don't gulp it, but keep it in your mouth as long as possible and go on chewing. This will give you a great satisfaction as it is only your tongue which craves for tasty food and by keeping it on your tongue for a long time not only will it get digested easily, but you won't overeat it.