In Ayurveda, the ancient Indian medical system which has its roots in Vedas, it has been emphasized that the best time to eat food is one hour after we get up in the morning till sunset in the evening. This is the time when the internal temperature in the body is higher than in the nights and because of this high internal temperature, the food gets digested easily.And naturally more energy is generated in the body. It is maintained in Ayurveda that eating late in the night, and taking heavy foods after sunset, tends to slow down the digestion, leads to acidity and other related diseases. It will also be the reason of accumulation of fat in the stomach and leads to obesity.
Medicines in your kitchen
Not only does the Ayurveda tells when to eat but also what to eat, how to eat and also there is a detailed description of the benefits of different types of cereals, vegetables, spices, fruits, milk, curd, buttermilk, herbs, and minerals. It is the result of hundreds of years of deep study and research. It has minutely studied and details of each spice is narrated with its medicinal value, and how they can be used in treating different diseases. It would be really worth to study the medicinal value of different spices in your kitchen and how they can be effectively used as medicines.
Turmeric - The great antiseptic in your kitchen
Out of so many important ingredients of the kitchen spices, one is turmeric powder. It is very useful and has many valuable medicinal qualities as described below :
- Turmeric powder should be applied immediately on any burns, cuts and bleedings. It is antiseptic and will stop the bleeding and heal the burns.
- Whenever there is pain in bones or there is swelling due to a fall or accident, this powder may be boiled in water and a thick paste may be formed. This paste can be applied on the swelling or on the painful part and the pain and swelling will naturally subside within 3-4 days.
- If one is having tonsillitis a paste of this powder along with glycerin tannic acid can be used to massage on tonsil with the tip of the finger and then the person may be asked to gargle with lukewarm salt water.
- If small children are affected and they refuse or unable to gargle, or don't allow a massage, globules of the size of green peas may be made with this powder and jaggery and 8 to 10 pills a day be given to children to eat.
- Turmeric acts as a blood purifier and hence can be taken with milk. Before going to bed, add a spoon of turmeric powder to warm milk, add sugar and drink. This soothes a sore throat. It should also be given this way to a mother after delivery which helps in faster contraction of the ovaries and inner parts.
- The turmeric acts as a wonderful skin cleaner. Make a paste of turmeric and sandalwood powder mixed with edible oil and apply on face as a mask. Keep it on for 15-20 minutes and then rinse and wash with cold water. Within a fortnight your face will turn bright and radiant.
- Turmeric has also been found very effective in diabetic when taken with amla powder.